We (virtually) sat down with Doris Kamathi, who is joining us as Regional Program Manager for our work in East Africa, to get to know her better:
1. Where are you from?
2. What did you do before joining Creative Action Institute?
I worked at Akili Dada as a senior program manager. In my role I was in charge of developing and overseeing the implementation of projects on gender, education, social entrepreneurship and workforce development.
3. What is one of your favorite movies?
I have several that are favorite. From Blank Panther, The Greatest Game Ever Played, Equalizer, Star Wars just to name a few
4. What was your favorite toy as a kid?
My parents bought me dolls. Maybe I would have loved something different but I didn’t have an option. Dolls had to be my favourite. I enjoyed plaiting the hair and dressing them up. I think this is where I started my fashion designing interest.
5. Can you play any instruments? If so, what?
Drums….I love drumming. The sound of drums soothes my mind
6. Where would you like to go on vacation that you haven’t been to before?
Marachesh in Morocco.
7. What was your favorite book or story growing up?
I read most of Marcus Pfister when I was growing up and my favorite book was the “Rainbow Fish”
I grew up on the coastside of Kenya and I was always fascinated and curious about what lived in the waters of indian ocean. The “Rainbow Fish'' answered most of my question, in a scary way though.
8. Who are some of your favorite musical artists?
Alicia Keys is my all time favourite artist
9. What are some of your hobbies?
Travelling and trying new recipes
10. If you could have any one superpower, which would you choose?
I would be the super healer and heal every sick person suffering from any form of illness on earth.